Monday 28 May 2012

"We'll rest in peace, on my rivers of belief.."

(The headline sets up, quite a dramatic and serious scene. Au contraire to what's coming up. )

Been quite some time since I wrote something without trying to rhyme.....DAMMIT!
Let me give you an intro/scene description about what this post is going to be about.

I was meant to travel back to Chennai from Bangalore, by train which was scheduled at around 11:45 p.m., I reached the station one and a half hour early and had nothing to do at the platform. A little voice in my head asked me to note down whatever I was looking at or was happening around me. I plugged in my earphones and started tapping ('touching' actually) away at my phone to 'jot' down my observations, and this post is the elucidated version of those notes.

*To stop the chain, pull the train...err...no wait..*


So, it was Sunday night and I was sitting way behind everyone on one of those steel chairs, you find at hospitals and the station was surprisingly quiet. The weather was the usual, relaxed and inert. The weird unusual quietude of the platform was regularly shattered by the sub par speakers, playing random jarring music and announcements, it got rather irritating, especially when I had, 'Back to the rivers of Belief - Enigma' playing in my earphones..

"Turn off the ligh..YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE! TRAIN NUMBER....take a deep br...WILL ARRIVE SHORTLY ON PLATFORM...."

at other times..

"YATRIGAN KRIPYA DHYAAN DIJIYE....take me back to the rivers of belief....GAADI NUMBER..I look inside my heart..."

Nonetheless, I got through it. I had a decent, hip looking guy, probably in his early thirties, sitting a seat away from mine, with a backpack and those 'rough terrain' boots.

Ahead of me there were two stone benches, one of them had a North-East Indian/Asian chick, who at first was quiet, but ended up mingling with a south Indian couple, after they asked her about something which was inaudible. They didn't chat away, but there definitely was some interaction between the three of them.

On the other bench there was a Caucasian chick, with a tattooed right arm, a pierced lower lip and a red backpack. She was wearing beige colored clothes that looked raggy, had her hair in a mess and had Converse shoes. She was quiet all throughout, didn't mingle at all with anyone and since she was alone, the bench had lots of space left. Every casual passerby gave her a glance. After some time, two random uncles came along and sat next to the white chick, they were harmless, probably curious and, I guess, a little 'promiscuous' (in the subtlest sense of the word).
They were facing the opposite direction compared to the chick, giving the lady discreet 'looksies' . After a while they got bored and left.

There were a few random people around buying coffee, policemen casually strolling by. Then there was this platform vendor who was sitting a small distance away from me, counting his earning for the day and checking for counterfeits.

SUDDENLY............... BOOOM!

The guy sitting next to me flips open a book and starts quietly chanting religious hymns, written in Kannada. It was quite shocking as he certainly didn't 'look' religious, even by a long shot! Post the chanting, our man flips out a lunch box and has his dinner, consisting of  lemon rice a.k.a 'Chitranna'

All this while the white chick's bench mates kept changing, but her silence was constant and all this drama took about 45 minutes, post which a train (not mine, but headed towards Chennai) arrived and there was a lot of chaos and commotion, and I soon lost interest.

KA-POW!

My college mate passes by with her boyfriend and post the greetings (Chiefly consisting of me incessantly asking "what's aaaaaaaap!!!" ) I asked her what she did over the weekend. She said that she was giving her GRE on Monday, and I was like..."Shoobie dooba....Shoobie Dooba", in the head. She reciprocated and asked me what I did in Bangalore. PAT! Came the reply..."I just came home to visit folks and play..". Confused, she raised an eyebrow..I said.."DotA....?". Feeling like a deflated balloon, she heaved a sigh and said her goodbyes as she had to board the train (that wasn't the only reason, as to why she left. (>.<) )

Soon after I lost all my interest, and everything turned blur, till I started writing this. Dunno how I got here. I probably had to..

Breathe Easy. \/
- Askios
(27-May-2012, 10:59 p.m.)

2 comments:

  1. "Turn off the ligh..YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE! TRAIN NUMBER....take a deep br...WILL ARRIVE SHORTLY ON PLATFORM...."

    at other times..

    "YATRIGAN KRIPYA DHYAAN DIJIYE....take me back to the rivers of belief....GAADI NUMBER..I look inside my heart..."


    ^ Loved this bit.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to enter the Captcha text at the very bottom...if you're gonna post a comment.

Creative Commons License
EpicRotis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.